Friday, November 6, 2009

Media Imperialism


What is Media Imperialism?
Media imperialism is a theory that smaller countries are losing their identity due to the force-feeding of media from larger nations. Many think that media imperialism has led to biased information and inaccuracy within news stories.

The United States is often accused of committing media imperialism through its Hollywood films. People think that Hollywood forces American culture onto other nations and makes it difficult for native filmmakers to be successful. (adapted from here)
.
Think about these questions and leave a comment (sign in as "anonymous" but write your name in the comment)

1. Do you think Hollywood movies have too much influence in your country?

2. Do you see more American or more Japanese films?
.
.

5 comments:

  1. 1.Yes!
    2.I see a lot of American movies.
    W3.kaori

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.Yes.
    2.Yes. I see both of them almost same times as Hollywood movies.

    W3 Yosuke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Kaori and Yosuke!

    As for me, I am surprised there are so many American movies in Japan, but I think it is less than 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.Yes
    Japanese media prefer Hollywood movies to normal movies.
    2.I see more american movies than japanese movies. I think almost everyone sees more american movies than homeland's movies.
    Maiko

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Yes, I think so. Especially young people are influenced by Hollywood movies. We think American style of life is so cool.

    2.I see both. It depends on kinds of movie. For instance I like watching Japanese horror movie but American.

    Mayumi Izawa

    ReplyDelete